Quarterly report on inquiries and complaints – Q1 2023-2024
The CORE publishes statistics about inquiries and complaints every three months (quarterly) from April to March (the fiscal year).
An inquiry is a request for information about filing a complaint or a request to file a complaint about an issue that is clearly outside the CORE’s mandate (for example, a complaint about something that happened in Canada).
A complaint is about an issue that looks like it may be within the CORE’s mandateFootnote 1. The CORE provides more information about inquiries and complaints in its annual report.
First quarter 2023-2024 (April 1, 2023 – June 30, 2023)
Highlights of this quarter
Five new complaints received:
- One complaint received in this quarter was assessed as inadmissible as it occurred before May 1, 2019. The file was closed and the complaint was referred to the National Contact Point.
- The admissibility of four complaints received in this quarter are being assessed. They include:
- An allegation of forced labour in the garment sector in China
- An allegation of abuse of the right to freedom of association in the garment sector in Honduras
- An allegation of abuse of the right to rest and leisure in the mining sector in Chile
- An allegation of abuse of the right to just and favourable working conditions in the mining sector in Chile
One complaint from the previous quarter (Q4, January 1, 2023 – March 31, 2023) alleging abuse of the human rights of Indigenous Peoples in the mining sector in Pakistan was found admissible and has moved to the initial assessment stage.
One-hundred new inquiries were received during this quarter and referred to another forum or organization for assistance if necessary.
Fig. 1 Total current complaint caseload to-date demonstrated by sector and current stage of the complaint process.
A bar graph depicting the total number of current complaint caseload broken down by stage in the complaint process and sector. There are three complaints in the garment sector and two complaints in the mining sector currently in intake. Twelve complaints in the garment sector and two complaints in the mining sector currently in the initial assessment stage. There is one complaint in the garment sector and one complaint in the mining sector currently in the investigation stage.
For information on past inquiries and complaints, please see our previous quarterly reports:
Q1- Q3 2021 – 2022 March 15 - December 31
Q4 2021 – 2022 January 1 - March 31
Q1 2022 – 2023 April 1 - June 31
Q2 2022 – 2023 July 1 - September 30
Q3 2022 – 2023 October 1 - December 31
Q4 2022-2023 January 1 – March 31
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: